Sunday 11 May 2008

Burma Emergency


Just got back from Sabah on Friday. I saw the headlines about the cyclone in Burma in my hotel newspaper, but being in holiday mode, I was in my own dreamland of diving and beaches.

Which makes me feel a right twat now that I really realise that it's really real.

The numbers for deaths in Burma are on their way to making the tsunami seem like a cakewalk. And the options for survivors are to stay and starve or flee to a refugee camp in India, China or Thailand.

I only know that because a friend's aunty is one of those survivors.

Given the global shortage of food, especially rice, I don't know what kind of reception they'll get.

I'm not going to go into the whole situation with the generals, because I'll likely have an aneurism from how fucked it all is. Anyway in times like these, better to have a lot of action rather than a lot of talk.

PLEASE DONATE TO THE RED CROSS. Whilst I read reports of the UN having their cargo interfered with, the Red Crescent (Red Cross's sister society) at least have already got supplies coming in and people on the ground.

No comments: