Thursday 26 April 2007

Happy (belated) Anzac Day

Oh man. Just got net back after the whooole of yesterday and most today in the wilderness. The horrors! Here's what was meant for yesterday:


With biscuits, just like with primary school kids, the goody-two-shoes are always up front


When we first got to Australia, Sis and I were the only Asian kids at school and ANZAC day befuddled us somewhat (Anzac biscuits, on the other hand, were a far easier sell). As far as we knew, there was a big concert on the bitumen (paved courtyard), the flag was raised and then all of us had our memories sorely tested when we got to the second chorus of the national anthem. Possibly because it had only become the official anthem two years before.

On further inspection, it seemed to be a day marking a great military defeat. I was no expert on war (I double-majored in My Little Pony and Kylie), but thought it kind of weird that Australians honoured losing. It was only later I realised it was more about honouring trying your best, no matter the consequence. I can't claim to have learnt much from Attadale Primary, but I can still nail that second chorus.

No comments: